Pages

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

ObamaCare & Medicaid Speech: Polished Video on YouTube

On October 7, I was back in Washington, DC as a guest of the Galen Institute and the Institute for Policy Innovation, discussing the ObamaCare's harmful effect on states' Medicaid budgets.  I addressed California's Medi-Cal program.

The Galen Institute has posted a polished, edited, video of my presentation.  No, I'm not as entertaining as I was in my spoof of the president's promotional video of the ObamaCare propaganda website.  Nevertheless, it might worth your time, because the Galen Institute and IPI pulled together a great panel.

I flew in and out of DC from San Francisco just for the event.  And I was using my new, handy-dandy, tablet computer from Dell, which I found was a little hard to read standing up at the podium.  So, my natural flair and charisma is a little mangled.

In reviewing the video, I see that I was unclear about Medi-Cal spending.  Medi-Cal is funded by both the federal and state governments.  In the presentation, I state that Medi-Cal cost $47 billion last year.  This is the total spending, of which $27 billion was federal and $20 billion came out of the state budget.  My spoken words make it sound like $47 billion was just the state's share of spending, for which I regret any confusion.

Christie Herrera of the American Legislative Exchange Council and Marc Kilmer of the Maryland Public Policy Institute also spoke, and their presentations are also available at the Galen Institute's YouTube channel.